Saturday, September 5, 2009

Pattaya, Power, and Frustration.

As we roamed the streets of Pattaya, the women called us in, the shop owners handed us their cards, and the neon lights lit our path. It's almost an overwhelming culmination of noise, as the traffic weaves and moves, horns honk, people converse, and music screams at the night. We found our way to the coast and met a guy named Bon. He tried to sell us drugs to which we politely denied and explained to him the effects of drug use, as he we curious why we didn't want the good stuff. We also talked about Jesus, but he said that he has money, and that he is happy. I think he also made a reference about him having buddha, and thats the "same same" as Jesus.


It was kind of frustrating, because it felt like I had to convince him that he was unhappy, which I didn't do. He says he's happy. He says he has everything he needs. But somehow, I have this feeling that if he had the option, he wouldn't be standing on the street corner selling drugs


It's in these moments of feeling powerless that I realize it's all about the power of God. But amidst my fears and doubts, I often struggle with the understanding of bringing this power into these situations. Do I pray and just believe that the Lord did something, even though I didn't see anything actually happen? Or do I pursue that? Pray and Pray until something happens that I can see with my eyes, or rather, pray until he actually feels the Lord encounter him?


Seems I need to figure out some theology. Or maybe just believe? I can't really say that I've ever had a power encounter with the Lord, but I believe that it can happen. Theology shouldn't be formed around what's not happening(thanks Bill Johnson!), and so is it a consistent pursuit of something that brings it?


What do I do to show Bon the power of God?




2 comments:

  1. Wow! Such deep thoughts! It makes me think about how much I want to see the spiritual things! God working behind and before each situation as we act in obedience to him! Lord, Open my eyes to the things unseen! How much your people need FREEDOM!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know exactly what you mean. What can we do to unleash the power of God? When do we walk away? When do we wait to see what happens? It is a tough one and I dont know the answer..

    'The world's shaking with the love of God
    Great and glorious, let the whole Earth sing
    And all you ever do is change the old from new
    People we believe that...

    God is bigger than the air I breathe
    The world we'll leave
    God will save the day and all will say
    My glorious!

    Clouds are breaking, heaven's come to earth
    Hearts awakening let the church bells ring
    And all you ever do is change the old from new
    People we believe that...

    God is bigger than the air I breathe
    The world we'll leave
    God will save the day and all will say
    My glorious! My glorious! My glorious! My glorious! My glorious!'
    My Glorious - Delirious

    I guess we continue to seek God, have faith and act on what He tells us to do. We have an Almighty, Powerful, Glorious God!

    ReplyDelete