Thursday, September 3, 2009

Smiles and Perspective

Thailand is called the "Land of Smiles". It's true, there are lots of smiles here, but I often wonder at what is behind a smile. It is the universal language, as anywhere you go a smile is understood, no matter what language you speak. But a smile doesn't always mean what it portrays. Many, many times in my life I have put a smile on my face, when the reality of my heart was hidden behind the mask. It's just easier to smile and hide things.


I walk these streets and look at the people. So many people all around me, many with smiles. It's sometimes hard to believe the web of oppression in this place. The amount of things done in darkness, under the cover of night. And even during the day.


The problem here is much different then I initially thought. I had a certain image in my head when comming to Thailand about what it was like and I thought I knew all there was to know about the sex trades. But after the last few weeks of conversations with people here on the ground, my perspective is changing. And rightly so. Perspective should change when information goes from narrow to broad. Comming here I had the narrow form of perspective. Narrow amount of information and yet thinking I was learned on the subject. I will try to explain some of the perspective I have gotten in the next few days.


I love gaining new perspective. It changes the heart.


No comments:

Post a Comment