Monday, August 17, 2009

Red Lights and Dignity

It was an interesting night the other night, walking the streets of Bangkok, the neon signs lighting my path, and sultry eyes hoping to meet mine and win my approval. As I walked by one woman, she slid her arm in mine, and proceeded to walk as if she was mine. Others would tap my arm and try to get my attention. I had a hard time looking people in the eye, not because of shame, like some of the fellows there, but because all I could think about was what those women were thinking about. I felt that if I met eyes with one of those women, they would be thinking that I was evaluating them. Looking them up and down to see if they were good enough to take home with me. As if searching for a perfect steak to take home and grill. That's all these women are to many of the men that visit this place. Nothing but a little bit of pleasure. All lined up along the street, or at the bar, waiting for someone to come pick them so that they could lavish their fake love on their fake lovers in return for some cash. I had a hard time walking through those streets, cause I knew that when those people saw me, they would assume the reasons as to why I was there. I mean the color of my skin and the air of those streets, what else would one assume?

We sat at Starbucks for a while and chatted, and all the while I could see a few girls standing along the street, right outside the window. I saw a man come up to one of the girls and lean over and whisper some things in her ear, to which she looked away, contemplating wether or not it was worth the money. He persistently tried to talk her into something, but she refused and he eventually gave up. I was somewhat encouraged that she had strength to say no, for it revealed that dignity was still alive, somewhere in her soul. Oh that she would know the dignity that she really carries!! That she would know the One true lover of her soul!

But how to convey this?

Gotta go...to be continued...

No comments:

Post a Comment