Monday, August 3, 2009

What? The Sky is Blue?


This was the view from my hotel room here in Bangkok. It's like this for as far as the eye can see in all directions. This city is immense, and its thick with concrete and people. The first few days were hazy and overcast and I couldn't tell if it was actually cloudy or if it was just the smog that makes its home above this city. I was going to compare it to LA, but it's incomparable. In LA you can escape the smog simply by leaving the city, but here it is all city. Its inescapable. I suppose there is a reason you see so many people wearing masks over their faces. There have been many times already that have been overwhelmingly uncomfortable because of the lack of clean air. My lungs only being able to find diesel fumes to breathe. Mix that with some sweat drenching heat and your likely to pass out, or at least a be a little dizzy. I've had to stop and catch my breath more than once. I had forgotten that the sky was even blue, until about the third day, when I caught it peeking at me through the clouds. I miss the blue skies of South Carolina already.

It has been a rough transition so far. My stomach feels iffy and I have locked eyes with 4 a.m. more this week than any human should in a lifetime. I am 11 hours ahead of east coast US time, which makes my day east coasts night. Which means when its time to go to bed here, its time to wake up there. I don't remember having so much difficulty transitioning during my other travels but for some reason my body clock doesn't want to change. Maybe i need new batteries...I woke up at 3 a.m. this morning and couldn't sleep! It's day 6 0f this and a good nights sleep is calling my name. I have been finding myself exhausted at about 4 p.m. everyday and have, probably to my error, taken a quick nap to ward off the impending dreary eyes. Maybe I'll skip the nap today and exchange it for sleep tonight. It's easy to say now, but when 4 p.m. rolls around, a nap is quite tempting.

There has been much on my mind so far. Wondering about what this trip holds for me, the places my feet will tread, and the people I will meet. What will come from this heaven only knows. But there is hope in my heart. Hope that somehow, someway the Lord will use me to touch the life of another person. The past month has been a whirlwind of working out details and preparing for this journey, so it has been nice having a few days to settle down and settle in. I am so grateful for this opportunity and so thankful for the way the Lord has made this a reality.

A huge thanks goes out to those who have supported me financially. I have been blown away by your generosity and your eagerness to sow into me has caught me off guard. I am encouraged that you believe in me! Thank you!

This is just the beginning and I hope to stay steady with updates! (although I have yet to define steady in my world haha)...and I leave you with this...

Thailand Travel Tip #1:

When using a public restroom, make sure that you grab all the toilet paper that you need BEFORE going into the stall. Its located outside of the stall(what the heck? for your convenience?). The last thing you want to do is be sitting there and realize that the stall walls are bare of any type of accessories. You better hope that your wearing socks that day.






3 comments:

  1. matty b ... i would love know how you got there and why i didn't know you were going ... we must have talked in june, right? but not july... how long are you traveling? i want to know! my cell is broken right now but should be fixed soon. can you email me please? tahneebrown@hotmail.com
    t

    ReplyDelete
  2. Matt-

    dude you made it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Hooray for you brother, I'm so happy you're there. I've been so busy traveling etc. myself and working when I'm in town. It sucks we didn't get to connect one final time before you left. We had a blast hangin out shooting photography for the last time before you had to prepare to leave.

    I love your blog it's in line with the renaissance I've been experiencing in my heart and creative life. I recently spent some time on 81acres of raw farm land eating garden food and being alone with Jesus, nature and last but not least my cameras. It was sooooooo yummy. I needed it and God used to reawaken creativity in me, the passion was dead. Your blog here has also spurred life again to scribe, I miss it, writing songs, poetry, simply thoughts,events and much more. Reading your story has inspired me again to pick the pens back up and open the notebook, it's been like 4 months. It's sooooooooooo refreshing, keep it up!!! And as always I appreciate your photography, I love your recent shots, so vivacious and colorful. Can't wait to shoot again, in fact I wish I were there.

    BTW, where are those shots from our impulsive adventure in the homeland. K.I.T

    HUGS,

    Jonas

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll never be able to view socks in the same manner again. Thanks for that.

    It's awesome to hear about what you are doing in that corner of the world! Hope all goes well for you.

    ReplyDelete