Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Thailand, Bhutan, Thailand

So I arrived in thailand on the 3oth of July, spent the next few days jet lagged out of my mind, almost in a delirious stage, waiting for friends to arrive in Bangkok. On the 5th of August, 5 of us cruised to Bhutan for an epic time of life. We maximized our time there, being that it was only 5 days and was super expensive, and now we have landed back in good ole bangkok. Now it's just me and Billy. Three of the five of our team has flown back to their respective places and we are going to be here for a few days before heading to northern Thailand. My access to internet has been limited, and so the opportunity to sit down and write has been limited. But no more. Free internet access and lots of time. At least this week. This week Billy and I are figuring out the next leg of our trip and it is during this time that I'm gonna try and process my trip to Bhutan and post a few pics!
I was taken aback by what Bhutan held for me. I wasn't ready for its beauty. Its beauty of land, but mostly its beauty of people. There is a gentleness that rests upon this people, that is not only felt, but is seen, deep in their eyes.
Bhutan has been one of the most isolated nations in the world, and the government takes great measures to preserve their culture and identity. In recent years though, with the internet and cell phone markets seeping into the country, Bhutan has seen the increasing pull of the modern world. Television and internet were banned until 1999. It was weird being in a village and seeing everyone on a cell phone. Until recently, everyone was required to wear the traditional garb, but we encountered many people who weren't wearing it. Especially in the younger generation we saw what looked like kids who were watching too much mtv. The governments measures do work in many respects. The only way into the country is through a travel agency and the government monitors everything that tourists do. Travel agents must submit papers at the end of a trip, telling of all the sights that were seen, the hotels stayed at, and food that was eaten. It was such a unique country! I was amazed at its preservation despite the influx of the internet and cell phone usage. I am excited to process what happened in my heart during my time there, but suffice it to say that I am forever impacted by what I saw and the people I met.
The next couple of days I will be posting pictures from my time there and attempting to write about what I experienced there.


No comments:

Post a Comment